Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Breastfeeding While Travelling

Another dilemma for the working-pumping mom is when you have to leave your baby for a business trip. And I am unlucky to be in such a dilemma now. *sigh*

I work as marketing and sales for this aviation company so it is expected that there would be some business meetings here and there. When I came back from my maternity leave, I tried my best to defer some long travels. Back then, my mindset was only to breastfeed my baby for the first 6 months. And I was quite successful in my delaying tactics. In the past 4 months, I just had several client meetings in Clark and within Manila which is bearable for me in terms of distance. On these times, the harder part was how to excuse myself from my (foreigner) boss when I needed to pump.

But now, my mindset was changed and I have decided to extend this breastfeeding routine up to a year or more. And today is that dreaded day when I confirmed that we will have the sales meeting in Davao. It is two-days from today and I am not prepared for it on so many ways – I need to finalize my presentation, need to arrange all errands at home and for my little AJ and need to condition my clingy little Ichi. And most importantly, how about my pumping? How do I transport my expressed BM when there is a 100ml liquid restriction when going onboard? I think it would be better if it would only me who will be traveling. But I am with my boss. And the idea that the check-in/check-out will be somehow delayed (explaining about my breastmilk to the airline officers etc.) is kind of awkward for me. I think I will have to just pump and dump whatever I express. But then on the second thought, why should I waste my precious liquid gold?

Oh well this is another challenge for the working and pumping mom. Let us see how we can deal with it.

No comments: