Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Why I Love My Lansinoh


Some have been requesting for this. So here are several reasons why I love my Lansinoh Double Electric Pump:

CHEAP DOUBLE ELECTRIC PUMP
Price is number one on my list when I scouted for a breast pump. Good thing Lansinoh is there. For around 8,000php, you will have the value of a double electric pump, which is recommended if you are working. Other pumps are too costly that some working moms just settle either for a cheaper manual pump or a single electric pump which will take you almost half of your working day to collect your milk.

Lansinoh is not readily available in malls here in Manila. This is why it is not that popular here. You can ask your relatives in the US to buy one for you, or you can have it ordered online via Multiply.

EASY TO SET UP
For a working mom, this is one factor that you should consider – the time required to set up the pump. Since you will squeeze your pumping session on your working hour, then the goal should be less time for set-up and more time for actual milk pumping.


Yes, it only takes me 30 seconds or even less to set-up. Other pumps have lots of connectors and accessories that you need to arrange prior to pumping. With my Lansinoh, you just need to connect the power supply or put your batteries, and attach the tubing to the flange assembly then to the pump itself. Then you’re all set.

Oh, and if I am lucky and I have a room reserved for me the whole day, then I will just leave my pump set up and just put my nursing cover over it. Then on my next pumping session, I just have to bring my “ref tote” again, connect the flange to the tubing and continue pumping.

EASY TO CLEAN UP
Since it has fewer parts, it is very easy to clean too! Perfect for lazy moms and/or lazy yayas! LOL

PORTABLE
Again, since it has fewer parts, it is portable as well. *wink!*

WORKS WITH AA BATTERIES
This is a great plus for me since you have option to pump even if you do not have access to an electrical socket. You just need 6x AA batteries to run it. I suggest you buy those rechargeable batteries which is more practical than buying the disposable ones.

Although I would recommend using electrical power whenever possible as the suction is better compared when you’re running on batteries. Tip: Always bring spare batteries on your pump bag so you'll have a back-up when your power cord just didn't work or when there is a power interruption aka "brown-out."

NO MILK BACK-UP
It has patented design that prevents milk from going to the tubing or to the motor which means that your breastmilk will have less risk of contamination.

SPEED AND SUCTION CONTROL
It has two dials, one for suction and another one for speed. With this, you can set the level of speed and suction depending on your preference. I found the suction of this pump a bit powerful so I just put it on mid vacuum setting with full speed and then I’m okay.

VERY QUIET PUMP
A friend of mine has the Pigeon single electric pump and I told her that her pump was too noisy! I told her it might disturb her newborn who was then sleeping. My friend said for her it was perfectly okay. But not until I showed her how quiet my Lansinoh was. Imagine her regret in buying the pigeon pump. ;-)

ALL PRAISES AND NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK? You might think I have all praises with Lansinoh. No. I have a few drawbacks too but they are manageable.

So here are some tips:

1. Take care not to over-use the speed and suction control as it has the tendency to loosen up. In my case, on my first weeks I was just so careless with the speed and suction dials that I switch them to different levels during one pumping session. Yeah, I was like a kid playing around then and now, I regret it. But my Lansinoh still works perfectly fine and I love it.

2. After some months, if you find that the suction is not that good anymore compared to when it was new, just replace the small white valve with a new one and you're back again. The Lansinoh comes with three spare sets of white valve. Isn't it great?

3. If you are one blessed cow and you pump more than 4 oz per breast in one sitting (holy cow!) then I suggest you buy a 9oz standard neck bottle to use as collection bottles. Recommended is the Evenflo brand - around Php400 for 3 bottles already. The flanges have universal thread so it fits almost any standard neck bottle.

4. If you are using Avent bottles, get an Avent breast pump converter kit and Lo! you can pump directly into your avent bottle!

Over-all, I find my Lansinoh a great buy! I treat my Lansinoh with utmost care. It's my "life-line" already. I use it 3 to 4 times daily and I can collect 4 to 8 ounces per session depending on the time of the day. Because of this, I will continue to recommend it to working moms who wants to have value for their money. And if you handle your pump with very special care then you’re off with Lansinoh for good.

So if you are working mom or if you have the money to spend, I tell you, SKIP THE MANUAL PUMP AND SKIP THE SINGLE ELCTRIC PUMP! GO GET A LANSINOH! It is the cheapest and most SULIT pump available in the market.

*As of this writing, I am buying myself a Medela Freestyle but this is not because I don’t like my Lansinoh now. You see, Medela Freestyle is more than double the price of Lansinoh so it is not really that practical. It is just that I love that Freestyle is rechargeable and it’s handsfree. It will definitely suit my busy working life. And not to forget about my primary goal- that I actually want to tie myself into breastfeeding for at least for one whole year more so that I can get the value of my money. *wink* wink*

3 comments:

Jenny said...

i have a similar lansinoh pump and i love it!! used it for more than 2 years.. just weaned from the pump in december 2009 and the $125 i spent for this pump was very sulit! :D

Makeup Maven said...

I used this for 2yrs. I can yield 8-10oz of milk per pumping. I got it as a gift pa. Had to say goodbye to this since we moved to a smaller place and my son enjoyed the direct feeding more. Hooray for this pump!

Makeup Maven said...

I used this for 2yrs. I can yield 8-10oz of milk per pumping. I got it as a gift pa. Had to say goodbye to this since we moved to a smaller place and my son enjoyed the direct feeding more. Hooray for this pump!